As you’re heading out on a road trip, perhaps you’re already a few miles down the road or on a major highway and suddenly, it hits you. You’ve forgotten the kids’ bathing suits! Now you’ll either have to turn around or stop at a department store along the way.
Who hasn’t experienced this? Don’t let it happen to you on your family’s exciting trip to Vegas. There are some items that we here at Certified Nannies have found are absolutely essential for a family vacation in Vegas. So, make your list and check things off as you add them to your bags. This will help you enjoy a stress-free trip.
Here’s our recommended list:
1. Sunglasses, Hat and Sunscreen (and lots of it!) Vegas is sunny. Don’t let your family get sunburned! Be prepared with these items. Make sure you buy at least SPF 30 and apply it at least 15 minutes before sun exposure. Then apply every two hours, or sooner if sweating and water are involved. Remember, these are just guidelines. Always follow the instructions on the sunscreen bottle as each formula may be different.
2. Comfortable Walking Shoes The strip is long and full of exciting places to explore. You’ll be on your feet a lot! So, bring some really comfortable, supportive shoes. If you try to do it in flip flops, you’ll probably get really tired feet (but bring your flip flops for the pool!).
3. Small Backpack A family vacation means you’ll want easy access to snacks, drinks and perhaps an extra change of clothes for little ones. The best way to carry it? A backpack. It won’t tire your shoulder or slip off constantly.
3. Water Bottles Las Vegas heat is a dry heat. Many people often underestimate the sun’s strength and become dehydrated very quickly. Bring a refillable water bottle for each member of your family and make sure they’re full before heading out on any excursions or walks.
4. Cash for tipping On the strip you’ll run into hundreds of performers including impersonators of Elvis, Michael Jackson, Dora the Explorer, Sponge Bob, and more! You can take advantage and get your picture taken with these fun characters. Tips are recommended as most performers earn their living from tips.
5. Favorite Toys and Books Especially if you have a long drive, you’ll need a few toys, books and activities to keep your kids happy. Not sure what to do on a long drive? Check out our post about fun games and activities to enjoy while travelling. Also, don’t forget to bring a few books for bedtime as well. Our Hotel Nannies do come equipped with games, toys and activities should you choose to use our services, so plan accordingly.
6. Bathing Suits Nearly all Vegas hotels are equipped with a swimming pool, and there are lots of other activities in town that involve swimming. It’s a great way to cool off and have fun, so be ready!
7. Camera and Selfie Stick With so many monuments, sights and excitement, you’ll want to get plenty of family pictures without leaving out the photographer. A selfie stick is the way to go.
8. Medications When you’re so focused on the fun, it’s easy to forget items that you simply can’t do without. Take any prescription medications anyone in your family needs and also your preferred regular fever and painkiller medications, just in case!
9. Map You could use your phone, but a good old paper map can be a great way to get the kids involved in planning your walks and excursions. Help them circle what they want to see and plan your routes.
10. Scrap Book/Family Journal Take along an empty scrap book or family journal. Paste in your ticket stubs, receipts, brochures and more from your visits around town. Then, write in everyone’s impressions of each visit or activity. At home, print out your pictures, add them in and you’ll have a wonderful souvenir of your Las Vegas memories!
With these items packed away, you’ll be sure to enjoy a great family trip to Las Vegas!